Hey hey people!!
How was your January? Anything interesting happen? Tell me about your month!!
I’m doing a wrap-up for last month. I haven’t posted in the past five days and I told myself I had to post something today and since it’s the beginning of a new month, I decided to post a wrap-up!
I hope you like reading it!
BOOKS I READ IN JANUARY!
I read nine books last month!! Yay!! I calculated that to achieve reading resolution of reading 100 books this year, I needed to read an average of 9 books every month. I’m glad I reached my goal this month!😁
Here are the books!
1. The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee
I don’t think this book needs an introduction but anyway, it’s a historical fiction about a boy, Monty who has serious issues and is in love with his best friend, Percy who also happens to be black in a severely racist and homophobic time. Felicity, Monty’s younger sister is another lovely character who’s a strong, brilliant feminist.
I gave it 5 stars and you can read my full review HERE!!
2. Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
This is an AMAZING fantasy novel about a boy, Lazlo Strange who dreams about a lost city which has been forgotten by everyone but him. It’s a novel about fear, hatred and bigotry and how enduring love and trust fight against them.
It’s also one of my best novels EVER and you can read my full review HERE!
3. Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
I wanted to like this book. I really did. It’s about magic in Nigeria and as a Nigerian girl, I was so excited to read it. It’s very well-written but it didn’t portray Nigeria very accurately.
I did give it 4 stars though. My full review is HERE!
4. Deadly Sweet by Lola Dodge
This is a book about magic, witches, sisterhood and BAKING!! Omg, there were so many pastries and cakes and mouthwatering foods in this book. It made me quite hungry. The female power in this book made me very happy too.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t awesome enough for 5 stars.
HERE’S my full review!!
5. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I REALLY disliked this book. Reagan, Cath’s friend and roommate really pissed me off and I didn’t like Levi, Cath’s boyfriend (he seems creepy and scary to me). Also, the romance wasn’t just off.
Read my full review HERE!
6. When Dimple met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
This is a very cute, contemporary with elements of feminism. I had a few issues with it but on the overall, I really liked it.
For some reason, I haven’t been able to collect my thoughts into a sensible, orderly form that resembles a review. Reviews are getting so hard to write now😔
7. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
I have soo many thoughts about this book, none of them good. I wanted to give it 3 stars but when I finished writing my review, it was so angry that I had to reduce my rating to 2 stars. Full review coming soon.
8. Binti by Nnedi Okorafor
This is a sci-fi Afro-futuristic book about a black girl, Binti, the first of the Himba people to be accepted into the finest institution of higher learning. On the way there however, their transport is attacked by some creatures called the Meduse. Now, Binti has to save her school from these creatures.
This book is a novella and I don’t have much to say about it so I doubt I’m going to write a review.
9. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
This book started off very boring. There were too many POVs, the events didn’t blend in and it was filled with boring dialogue. Thankfully, it got better about halfway through and I’ve decided to give it 3.5 stars.
I’m not writing a review on it though.
So, that’s it for the books I read. What are your thoughts on them?
MOVIES I WATCHED
1. Justice League: I was told this movie would be amazing. I felt quite disappointed by it though. Batman was useless and Superman looked too powerful. Aquaman was just a gorgeous face. Wonder Woman looked weak but I loved Flash.
I’m considering writing a full movie review. Would you guys like that?
2. Thor: Ragnarok: I LOVED this movie!! Hela was so amazingly powerful!! I loved that Odin was shown as the true conqueror he was. Thor was a force of nature I need in my life and I loved his relationship with Loki!!😍😍😍 I can’t gush about this movie enough.
Anyone want a review?
3. Constantine: A DC movie about demons, heaven, hell, exorcism and the rest. I was told it was “the Dr Strange of DC”. Very untrue. It’s just a horror movie.
No review offer for this. It was just blah.
OTHER BLOG POSTS!!
In my I said I wanted to have 15 posts each month. Unfortunately, I had 13. I think it’s still pretty good. Right?
Here are my blog posts for January 2018!!
- Jan 1st: 2018 Reading and Blogging Resolutions for the new year!!
- Jan 4th: Review of The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee
- Jan 6th: Review of Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor
- Jan 7th: Books vs Their Adaptations (BvTA)
- Jan 9th: Top Five Tuesday: Top Five (or seven😁) books on my bucket list!
- Jan 11th: ARC Review of The Rose Master by Valentina Cano
- Jan 14th: Help me choose my next read from 5 popular books I did not finish!
- Jan 16th: Review of Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
- Jan 19th: ARC Review of Deadly Sweet by Lola Dodge
- Jan 22nd: Review of Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
- Jan 24th: Mystery Blogger Award #3
- Jan 27th: Twenty Questions Book Tag!
- Jan 29th: I created a Valentine Book Tag!!
WHAT TO EXPECT THIS MONTH!
- A blog post–more like an angry rant– (very soon) about the actions of JK Rowling
- Hopefully, a review of When Dimple met Rishi
- Definitely a review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
- Books vs Their Adaptations Part II (Thank you guys so much for the love on Part I)
- Three blogger awards (I have had some nominations since November!!)
- Norse Mythology Book Tag (I was tagged last month by Rendz)
- A meme I created
- A few other reviews.
- Some book tags and book memes I decide to do.
- Two movie reviews if you guys show interest 😏
And that’s it for my wrap-up!! I hope it wasn’t too long!
Check me out on